I am separated and must travel out of the country with my children. What are the required documents?

To travel with your children, you will need to have the following documents:

  • A letter, written preferably in English or French, authorising you to travel with the children and signed by the parent who is not traveling with the children;
  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate;
  • A photocopy of the passport or national identity card of the parent that is not traveling with the children bearing the signature of the holder.

In most cases, the above documentation will be sufficient. However, we advise you to check with the consulate or embassy of the country you will visit for any added requirement.